Green lentil and vegetable soup (slow cooker)
1 cup green lentils
¾ cup split peas ( or you can use more lentils)
1 onion chopped
2 cups chopped potato
2 cups of chopped celery
2 cups of butternut squash
5 cloves of garlic minced
1 litre of stock – chicken or vegetable ( I prefer chicken)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 – 2 cups of chopped spinach or kale
Few glugs of quality olive oil
1 cup of chopped parsley
Red wine vinegar, or sherry or lemon juice or I added apple cider vinegar – about a large tablespoon – no science taste and add to suit.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker , cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Place 3 – 4 cups of the soup in a blender with a few glugs of olive oil and pulse until semi smooth and creamy looking. Add this back to the pot – if you like more whole vegetables then only pulse 3 cups. I like to leave a few whole vegetables to practice chewing and opening mouth ( trismus exercise)
- Stir in spinach / kale / parsley and then let it sit for a few minutes.
- Season to taste and add the sherry, vinegar or lemon juice.
- You can add parmesan cheese to serve also and I soaked sourdough bread in it with butter!